The Program Assistant reports to the Program Director, and helps coordinate the various activities of YMMC, including orchestra auditions, rehearsals and concerts; student registration; and other events. Tasks include: assisting with music reproduction and distribution; coordinating rehearsals, including setup and takedown; keeping attendance; assisting the conductor; communicating with parents and students; creating a positive and ordered rehearsal environment; overseeing the production of performances; assisting South County Strings music instructors with student registrations and instrument rentals; and helping with other program tasks.
The Program Assistant possesses good communication skills and is a bright, and quick learner. S/He is organized and attentive to details, possesses a can-do attitude; exhibits patience, flexibility and tact. The Program Assistant enjoys working with young people and their families and is convinced of YMMC’s mission and the value of youth music education and performance
Major Duties of the Program Assistant include:
- Attends concerts, auditions, retreats, and weekly orchestra rehearsals to set-up and take-down, answer questions, assist coaches and conductor, supervise students, helps to track attendance.
- Produces weekly rehearsal roster including attendance updates, and arranges seating in accordance with Music Director’s instructions, tracks student attendance and communicates attendance issues, when needed, to parents and conductor.
- Music librarian tasks (i.e. ordering, copying, filing, scanning music, distributing parts and scores to students, coaches, and teachers)
- Helps with instrument inventory including record keeping, instrument repair and distribution
- Assists with volunteer coordination
- Assists with transport of equipment for concerts/events
- Assists with South County Strings registration/instrument rental activities
- Produces emails to students and teachers with needed information.
- Arrange student shuttle between Monterey and HVMS, collects and tracks fares paid.
- Assists Program Director with monthly tuition/instrument rental notices
- Communicates weekly rehearsal schedule to rehearsal venue.
- Updates information on website weekly.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Available to work Wednesdays until 9:00 p.m., occasional other evenings and weekends as needed; (weekend concerts 3-6 times/year)
- Car and personal insurance coverage; occasional travel between Monterey and South County is and weekly travel to Carmel Valley is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact positively with students, parents, staff, donors, board members, general public, etc.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Music background/interest, ability to communicate in English and Spanish, experience with computers and general office software, including Microsoft Word and Excel. InDesign software and FileMaker Pro database experience are a big plus.
- High school diploma required; continuing education preferred.
No Phone calls please. Background check and fingerprinting required. Please e-mail, or send a cover letter (do not fax) resume and references to:
546 Hartnell St., Suite B
Monterey, CA 93940
Youth Music Monterey County provides two youth orchestras, a brass, woodwind and chamber players ensemble program and in-school string instrument classes for students throughout Monterey County. The Junior Youth and Honors Orchestras are led by Conductor Farkhad Khudyev and feature approximately 100 student musicians from throughout the Monterey Peninsula. The South County Strings Program provides free, in-school string instrument instruction to students in grades 3-8 living in rural south Monterey County.
Youth Music Monterey’s South County Strings program is looking for exceptional string instructors for its teaching sites in Soledad.
Youth Music Monterey's South County Strings program involves formal partnerships between YMM and south Monterey County school districts to provide music lessons during the school day. A team of instructors provide free violin, viola, and cello instruction for beginning and intermediate students ages 8-13.
Pay is $50/hour. Details are being finalized with school districts, but the position is expected to run 20-30 hours per week from October through late May.
YMM String Instructor Responsibilities:
Teach mixed group lessons for violin, viola, and cello to up to 15 students/class at beginning and intermediate levels.
Assist with recruitment, registrations, sign-ups, and arranging class times at each school site.
Work with YMMC staff to manage instrument distribution and retrieval according to YMMC procedures; Provide simple repairs to YMM instruments, or return damaged instruments to office for repairs.
Maintain current attendance lists, and provide weekly updates to YMMC office.
Work collaboratively with other YMM instructors and staff to facilitate opportunities for combined and collaborative events (Chamber Players outreach concerts, Orchestras’ season finale concert)
Work cooperatively with school site staff to incorporate student performances in school or community outreach events, students should prepare for and perform in at least 2 concerts each program year.
Work with the other string teachers to create an overall improved string ensemble.
Communicate any changes in schedule to the YMMC office immediately.
Meet with YMM office and board as needed
Interested candidates should send a brief cover letter describing teaching approach and philosophy, fitness for the position, and a CV/resume. Selected candidates will be scheduled for an in-person interview in Monterey during the month of September. Resume review will begin on August 31st.
No Phone calls please. Background check and fingerprinting required. Vehicle and proof of insurance necessary. E-mail cover letter, and resume, please send as one attachment (pdf preferred) to: email@example.com. References may be requested for shortlisted candidates.